Creamy Roasted Carrot Soup with Citrus and Dukkah by This Mess is Ours
Thanks to: Meg van der Kruik
“The humble carrot finally gets its chance to shine as the superstar of this vegan soup! Feel free to take your bowl to the next level by also garnishing it with a handful of Massel’s gluten-free Crispy ‘Chicken” Chickpeas
— Meg van der Kruik, This Mess is Ours
Click here to see our ‘Crispy Chicken’ Chickpeas recipe
- 1 tablespoon Massel Stock Powder Chicken Style
- ¼ cup Massel Liquid Stock Chicken Style
- 900g/2lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 minutes in boiling water, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup dukkha spice blend, store bought or homemade (optional topping)
- ¼ cup coriander/cilantro leaves (optional topping)
Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place the carrots, onion and garlic on the baking sheet and drizzle with the melted vegan butter, then season with Massel Stock Powder Chicken Style and black pepper. Toss to coat and spread into an even layer.
Roast until the vegetables are tender and beginning to caramelize (about 25 minutes). Allow the vegetables to cool slightly.
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a high powered blender and add the water, Massel Liquid Stock Chicken Style and cashews. Blend until the soup is very smooth (1-2 minutes).
Pour the soup into a medium sized saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. The mixture will be very thick. Add ½ cup of the orange juice along with the sherry vinegar and stir to incorporate. If the soup is still too thick for your liking, add more juice by the ¼ cupful for a thinner consistency.
To serve ladle the soup into serving bowls. Sprinkle dukkah over the top and garnish with coriander/cilantro leaves, if desired.