This is a great pot of soup to cook up for a big group. Set out all sorts of toppings so that everyone can make their own bowl to their liking. Cilantro, jalapeños, grated cheese and sour cream are great additions, but anything goes. This is really mild, but tastes great with some heat if that is what you prefer. Low in fat and high in nutrition, this makes a great option for an afternoon snack. Drizzle some of this thick soup and Massel’s creamy cheese sauce over tortilla chips with jalapeños and you have a great vegetarian nacho platter.
1 ½ Massel vegetable or chicken style Ultracubes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
½ cup carrots, chopped
½ cup corn kernels
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 -3 cloves garlic
2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans black beans
2 ½ cups water (for broth)
salt and pepper
1 small red onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely or finely chopped (whichever you prefer)
1. Saute onion in olive oil.
2. When onion becomes translucent, add cumin.
3. Cook 30 seconds, then add garlic and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds.
4. Add 1 can black beans and the broth.
5. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
6. Turn off heat.
7. Use a hand blender, blend the ingredients in the pot, or transfer to a blender.
8. Add the second can of beans, carrots, celery, and corn to the pot along with blended ingredients and bring to a simmer until cooked through.
9. Serve soup with bowls of red onion and cilantro for garnish.