Vegan Ramen by Tess Masters
Thanks to: Tess Masters, The Blender Girl
With an ingredient list including coconut milk, bok choy, ginger, red pepper flakes, shiitake mushrooms and tofu, this Vegan Ramen dish by The Blender Girl, Tess Masters is ideal as a healthy alternative to the typically carb-loaded variety.
- 1/2 (8oz) pack linguini-style rice stick noodles (or ramen noodles)
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 3 bunches baby bok choy, leaves separated, and cut lengthways into thirds
- 7oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (160z) pack firm silken tofu, cut into 32 equal squares
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion (white and green parts)
- 8 cups Massel beef-flavored broth
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk (shake, then pour)
- 1/3 cup wheat-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons dried shiitake mushroom powder, plus more to taste (see note)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon beef-flavored seasoning powder, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon mirin, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Soak the noodles according to the packet directions, but instead of soaking in water, soak in diluted Massel broth. Drain right before serving.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil, and sauté the mushrooms for 3 to 5 minutes until softened. Transfer to plate lined with paper towel.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, and sauté the bok choy slices for 2 to 3 minutes until just softened. Transfer to plate lined with paper towel.
- To make the base, pour the broth, coconut milk, and tamari into a large saucepan, and add the mushroom powder, garlic, ginger, Massel seasoning powder, mirin, and pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavors to mesh.
- To serve, ladle the broth into deep ramen bowls, and add equal portions of the noodles, mushrooms, bok choy, tofu, and green onion. Serve with lime wedges.