Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup by Tess Masters
Thanks to: Tess Masters, The Blender Girl
“This brilliant broccoli bowl tastes like it’s got gobs of cream in it, but the velvety texture comes from the alchemy created between the cauliflower and blanched almonds or cashews. Oh, the amazing results you can get in your blender!
This soup is sensational, and freezes really well. Enjoy!”
— The Blender Girl, Tess Masters
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 cup (150g) diced yellow onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) cauliflower florets
- 7 cups (1.65l) Massel vegetable broth
- 8 cups (600g) roughly chopped broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup (35g) blanched slivered almonds or raw unsalted cashews
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic, onions, and 1/4 teaspoon of natural salt for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the cauliflower and sauté for another minute. Add the Massel vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer partially covered for about 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is just tender.
- Add the broccoli. The broth may not completely cover the vegetables but the broccoli will release liquid as it cooks. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, just until the broccoli is al dente and still vibrant green. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly; stir in the nuts. Pour the soup into your blender in batches and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds, until smooth and creamy. Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, and serve with crusty bread or a scoop of cooked grains.