Meatloaf does not have to be that thing you give up when you are gluten-free. Instead of using bread crumbs as you would normally in meatloaf, we use tapioca. It binds the meat while keeping it moist. This recipe doesn’t even have eggs in it! This turkey meatloaf is healthy, but you won’t feel that you are sacrificing any of the comfort of the traditional recipe.
Make up a batch of Massel’s turkey style gravy, which is also low-cal, to ladle over your meatloaf. What an easy midweek meal or an inviting family meal on a leisurely weekend.
- 3 cups yellow onions, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ½ teaspoons Massel chicken style All-Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning Granules
- 1 ½ teaspoons tomato paste
- 5 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1/3 cup instant tapioca granules
- ¾ cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 325F/165C
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except the ketchup. Mix well.
- Shape into a rectangle loaf on an ungreased sheet pan.
- Spread the ketchup evenly on top. (handy list of gluten-free ketchups here)
- Bake for approximately 90 minutes or until the internal temperature is 160F/71C. (A pan of hot water in the oven under the meatloaf will keep the top from cracking.)
- Serve hot with lots of Massel turkey style gravy, at room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.