Vegan Lemon Asparagus Risotto by Tess Masters
Thanks to: The Blender Girl Tess Masters
“The lemon juice and citrus zest gives this risotto a light refreshing quality that is surprisingly delicious, and makes even the most devout cream dreamers forget about their need for anything sharp. The beauty of this recipe is that the lemon juice and zest lifts the risotto without the need for cheese.”
— The Blender Girl Tess Masters
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks (white part only)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery (about 4 ribs)
- 16 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups arborio rice
- 6 cups asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (3 bunches)
- 2 cups vegan cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, and sauté the leeks and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the green onions and celery, and sauté for a further 5 minute until just soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium, pour in 3 cups of the vegetable broth, and add the rice and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Continue adding 1 cup of vegetable broth every 5 minutes or as needed so that the rice is just covered and doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
- After about 20 minutes after the rice has doubled in size and is almost cooked stir in the asparagus. Continue to add vegetable broth as needed until the rice is just cooked through and is still slightly firm to the tooth.
- Stir through the lemon juice and zest, add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and then stir in the parsley and mint.
- Season with black pepper, and additional salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.