Gluten-Free Hot and Sour Soup (VE)
This is the soup that shakes it up a little and shudders off the cold of winter. The vinegar gives it that sour aspect of the taste that will leave you wanting more. This vegan version is a perfect starter to a meal, but you can add tofu to make it a hearty lunch or dinner. Rice noodles were added today, but don’t limit yourself. You could add dumplings, a variety of vegetables… whatever suits your fancy. The broth is a great backdrop to whatever you desire.
- 6 cups Massel Vegetable Broth (Made using 3 Massel Vegetable Ultracubes or 3 teaspoons Massel Vegetable Stock Powder)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small cabbage, about the size of a grapefruit, finely chopped
- 1 425g/15oz can tomatoes, blended smooth
- 1/4 cup tamari sauce
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cooked rice noodles, enough for each bowl
Heat up oil in soup pot, over medium heat.
Add onion and cook until translucent.
Add the rest of the ingredients through black pepper and let simmer until flavours blend. (About 10-15 minutes.)
Taste and adjust flavours if needed. Do you want more heat? Add more chili. Do you want the soup more sour? Add more vinegar.
In each soup bowl, place your cooked noodles or tofu cubes and then ladle broth over noodles and enjoy.