Grilled Mexican Street Corn Soup by This Mess is Ours
Thanks to: Meg Van Der Kruik
“Eloté used to be one of my favorite treats during the summer. I loved the tangy, sweet, and spicy flavor combination that would hit my taste buds as I ate it. It is one of the few foods that I would eat with reckless abandon whether I was in public or in private; but let’s face it, you can’t really eat eloté while looking like a lady.”
— Meg van der Kruik, This Mess is Ours
- 2 Massel 7's Chicken Style Stock Cubes
- 4 cups water
- 6 ears of corn, grilled & kernels removed from the cob; ½ cup kernels reserved for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 hatch chili, stemmed and chopped (jalapeño would also work well here)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime cashew crema, recipe follows (garnish)
- Fresh minced coriander/cilantro (garnish)
- ½ cup grilled corn kernels (garnish)
- Red onion relish, recipe follows (garnish)
- Lime wedges (garnish)
- Hot sauce (garnish)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, drained and rinsed well (Lime Cashew Crema)
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice (Lime Cashew Crema)
- 4 tablespoons full fat canned coconut milk (Lime Cashew Crema)
- ¼ cup water (Lime Cashew Crema)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (Lime Cashew Crema)
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion (Red Onion Relish)
- ¼ cup minced cilantro (Red Onion Relish)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (Red Onion Relish)
Make the soup
In a microwave safe bowl or on the stove heat the water until boiling and drop in the 2 Massel 7’s Chicken Style Stock Cubes and stir until dissolved. Set aside.
Heat oil over medium-low heat and saute the onion and chili with a generous pinch of salt until tender and beginning to turn translucent, about 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute, stirring constantly. Add the grilled corn kernels (except the ½ cup reserved for garnish) to the pot and stir to combine. Pour the prepared Massel broth into the pot and bring to a boil, decrease the heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
At the end of the cook time take the soup off of the heat and either use an immersion blender or transfer approximately 1½ cups of the soup to a blender and pulse just until the kernels are broken down. Return the pureed liquid to the rest of the soup, this should thicken up the broth a bit.
Add the lime juice to the soup and stir to incorporate then season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of lime cashew crema, minced coriander/cilantro, grilled corn kernels, and red onion relish. Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce on the side.
Make the crema
Combine the cashews, lime juice, coconut milk, water, and kosher salt in a high speed blender and puree until smooth.
Make the red onion relish
Combine the red onion, cilantro, and lime juice in a glass bowl ad stir to mix well. Allow to stand for 10-15 minutes for the flavours to develop.