Vegan Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes by Tess Masters
Thanks to: Tess Masters
“Instead of using tons of cream and butter, or even vegan butter spread like Earth Balance (which IS fantastic with potatoes by the way), I prefer using a really good quality cold pressed olive oil, which adds not only a delicious flavor, but also tons of health fats. To this I add a little bit of Massel vegetable broth for extra flavor. Then you can add in any spices, herbs and natural flavorings you fancy!”
— The Blender Girl Tess Masters
- 2lb unpeeled and diced red skinned potatoes
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon Celtic sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Place the chopped potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until tender. Drain well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the saucepan, and over medium heat, sauté the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes until just starting to brown. Add the drained potatoes and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until the excess water has been absorbed.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic into the bowl of your stand mixer, and with the paddle attachment mix on high gradually add the olive oil and broth until mixed well, and you’ve reached your desired consistency. Season with the salt and pepper. Tweak olive oil, broth, salt and pepper to taste. (You could also mash the potatoes by hand with a potato masher or ricer.)
- Stir through the parsley and chives, and add more to taste.