Skip to content
Creamed Spinach with Shiitakes by Tess Masters
Thanks to: The Blender Girl, Tess Masters
The Blender Girl, Tess Masters, uses Massel vegetable or chicken-style broth to help her create this sensational gluten-free Creamed Spinach with Shiitakes recipe.
Photo Credit: Trent Lanz
- 1 cup (240ml) Massel vegetable or chicken-flavored broth
1 cup (140g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup (150g) diced yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
4 cups (208g) diced shiitake or cremini mushrooms
3 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
2 pounds (32oz) baby spinach
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
Natural salt, to taste
Splash of fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Throw the broth, cashews, and nutritional yeast into your blender, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a wok, deep skillet, or pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the tamari and sauté for a further 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add the spinach gradually with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of tamari, and sauté for another 5 minutes, until wilted.
- Stir in the cashew cream, and combine until evenly mixed through. Season with salt and pepper, and add lemon juice, to taste.
Creamed Spinach with Shiitakes
Salt and Sodium: What is the Difference?
Massel: Providing Flavour Solutions for Restaurants and Small Eateries
Massel Provides Flavour Solutions for Foodservice in the Healthcare Sector – Hospitals, Aged Care and Community Meal Services
Children’s Health and Sodium Intake
© 2020 Massel - Gluten Free Bouillon and Seasonings