Creamed Spinach with Shiitakes by Tess Masters
Thanks to: The Blender Girl, Tess Masters
The Blender Girl, Tess Masters, uses Massel Vegetable Liquid Stock or Massel Chicken-Style Liquid Stock to help her create this sensational gluten-free Creamed Spinach with Shiitakes recipe.
- 1 cup (240ml) Massel Vegetable Liquid Stock or Massel Chicken-Style Liquid Stock
- 1 cup (140g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (150g) diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 4 cups (208g) diced shiitake or cremini mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons wheat-free tamari
- 2 pounds (32oz) baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- Natural salt, to taste
- Splash of fresh lemon juice, to taste
Throw the broth, cashews, and nutritional yeast into your blender, and blast on high for 30 to 60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
In a wok, deep skillet, or pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sauté the onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the tamari and sauté for a further 5 minutes, until soft.
Add the spinach gradually with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of tamari, and sauté for another 5 minutes, until wilted.
Stir in the cashew cream, and combine until evenly mixed through. Season with salt and pepper, and add lemon juice, to taste.