Summer is the perfect time for vacations and road trips but there’s so much planning to do, including what to eat. It seems like the only options for kids’ snacks on the road are greasy potato chips or sugary sweets. This can make it difficult and stressful for a parent trying to keep your kids healthy while traveling.
Fortunately, we at Massel have a solution for you. We’ve chosen some of our favorite kid-friendly recipes that double as on-the-go snacks to keep your kids happy and full no matter where you go.
This recipe from Beard + Bonnet is a healthy alternative to packaged potato chips. Your kids will no longer turn their noses up to greens once they taste these crispy delights.
- 1 bunch of lacinato or curly kale
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock, Vegetable Style
- 2 teaspoons Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning granules, Vegetable Style
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the kale. Remove the ribs from the kale and place the leafy greens in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil and the Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock over the kale, then sprinkle the Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning granules, garlic powder and black pepper over the top. Toss the kale with your hands to thoroughly coat the leaves with the spices and oil.
- Lay the seasoned leaves onto the prepared baking sheets in an even layer so that they are not overlapping.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, rotating and turning the pans halfway through.
Oozy, gooey garlic cheese bread can be served anytime, anywhere. Your mouth, as well as your kids, will be watering up until you get a piece of this recipe.
- 1 T Massel vegetable All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning
- 1 loaf of crusty bread
- 1 stick of butter (8 Tbs), melted
3-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 t. ground black pepper
- 2 cups of grated cheese of choice (one that melts well) Suggestions: Swiss, Cheddar, Colby
- Cut your crusty bread in diagonals until cube shape appears. Slice almost all the way down, but do not slice through to the bottom.
- Melt the stick of butter and mix in Massel powder, garlic, mustard and black pepper. Stir together.
- Drizzle mixture down in between the cut slices of the bread.
- Then follow with grated cheese in between the cut slices of the bread.
- Wrap stuffed loaf of bread in foil.
- Place in preheated oven 350F/180C for approximately 20 minutes.
Crispy “Chicken” Chickpeas
Another one of our favorites from Beard + Bonnet, these crispy chickpeas can be easily popped in your mouth for a super quick but tasty pick-me-up.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock, Chicken Style
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning granules, Chicken Style
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then place the chickpeas in a tea towel and gently rub them dry. Some of the skins will fall off; discard them.
- Place onto the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with oil and the Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock then roll the chickpeas around on the pan to coat. Sprinkle with the Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning granules and garlic powder then toss the chickpeas to coat.
- Roast for 20 minutes, stir and roast another 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. The chickpeas will crisp up as they cool.
French Onion Dip Recipe
This crowd favorite can be easily packed in a tupperware, tucked away in a cooler or packed in a picnic basket. Serve it with a variety of dippers, including carrots, celery or even our crispy kale chips!
- 1 teaspoon Massel Vegetable All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cup of low-fat sour cream or Greek style yogurt
- Place onion in medium-low sauce pan with olive oil, thyme and Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning.
- Cover until onions are tender.
- Uncover and turn up heat until you get a nice caramel color. Turn off heat and put in bowl.
- Add sour cream or yogurt. Stir and let it sit in fridge for about an hour and you have a fabulous dip.
Once your kids taste these snacks, they’ll be begging to get back out on the road!