Who says salads need to be just lettuce and greens? When it comes to a fresh summer salad, the possibilities are endless. Seafood, quinoa, beans, a variety of vegetables.
A summer salad is perfect for a picnic or traveling of any kind. Here we’ve rounded up a group of perfect summer salads for you to prepare and enjoy.
Beard + Bonnet puts a vegan spin on a traditional seafood dish. You can pack this salad in lunches, take it on picnics or even serve it up at a fancy dinner party. Eat it with crackers or just spoon it into your mouth.
- 1 heaping tablespoon Massel All Purpose Bouillon and Seasoning Granules, vegetable flavor
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 2 ears of corn, kernels removed
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup finely minced cilantro
- 1 small avocado, diced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lime and orange juices. Whisk in the ginger, olive oil and Massel All Purpose Bouillon and Seasoning Granules until completely incorporated. Set aside.
- Add the lima beans, corn kernels, bell pepper, red onion and hearts of palm to the dressing. Toss to combine. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Just before serving, toss in the cilantro and avocado. If desired, serve with chips or crackers.
Kale and Carrot Salad with Honey Lemon Dressing
With hearty kale and sweet carrots, this salad makes a great side dish or snack. Put it in place of an unhealthy snack. Simple prep, taste explosion and easy on your waistline, you will find nothing wrong with this salad.
Honey Lemon Dressing
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Massel Vegetable All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning or a tablespoon of vegetable Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons grape seed oil or another light tasting oil
- A few drops of sesame oil
- Whisk together or put in a jar with lid and shake.
- Easy to double or triple this recipe. Keeps well in fridge.
Kale & Carrot Salad
- Kale, chopped (if using collard greens, boil in hot water until cooked. Drain and chill.)
- Carrots, grated
- Equal amount of chopped kale and grated carrots. Make as little or as much as you want.
- Toss with dressing and chill.
Seafood and Fish Salad
This salad can serve as a full meal. The shrimp, white fish and shallots make it filling enough. It’s quick and easy but you won’t be disappointed by it’s refreshing taste.
- ½ teaspoon Massel Vegetable All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning diluted in 2 tablespoon hot water
- ½-1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon white vinegar or lime juice
2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped or sliced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic chives, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
2 tablespoon sharp cheddar cheese, grated
6 cleaned raw shrimp
6 2-inch pieces of firm white fish
2 tablespoon AP flour
- 2 tablespoon breadcrumbs or panko
- 1 teaspoon of Massel Chicken Style All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning
1 egg, slightly beaten
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 teaspoons of chopped parsley or cilantro
- Prepare salad before cooking the seafood.
- In salad bowl put lettuce, tomatoes, carrot and cheese. Top with the chives. Set aside.
- For dressing: Combine mayonnaise with the dissolved Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning and vinegar or lime. Set aside.
- Into a plastic bag put the flour, the breadcrumbs and Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning.
- Dip prawns and fish pieces in the egg, then in the bag. Shake well.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Put on absorbent paper towel. Season with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Dress salad with desired amount of dressing and serve up on plates. Divide prawns and fish on each plate and then top with parsley or cilantro and serve alongside the extra dressing.
Couscous Salad Recipe
This is a great base for a fresh summer salad. You can add whatever you love to the couscous: chopped veggies, herbs, feta cheese or whatever you desire to make an awesome summer treat.
- 1 Massel Ultracube chicken or vegetable style
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup dry whole wheat couscous
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cups cucumber, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill
- Massel All Purpose Bouillon and Seasoning, to taste.
- Dissolve Massel Ultracube in the warm water.
- Place couscous in a large bowl; add Massel stock and olive oil to bowl. Stir and set for 15 minutes or longer. All the liquid will soak up.
- Fluff couscous with a fork and then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir.
- Refrigerate for later or eat immediately.
Kale and Quinoa Salad
We love kale here at Massel and so does Beard + Bonnet. Made up of two superfoods, this salad might as well be wearing a cape.
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, ribs removed and leaves cut into fine shreds
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa prepared with Massel Ultracube bouillon cubes, vegetable flavor, divided
- 1 cup purple seedless grapes, halved
- ½ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (champagne vinaigrette)
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar (champagne vinaigrette)
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil (champagne vinaigrette)
- 1 teaspoon Massel All Purpose Bouillon and Seasoning Granules, vegetable flavor (champagne vinaigrette)
- Combine the Dijon mustard, vinegar, olive oil and Massel All Purpose Bouillon and Seasoning Granules in a jar with a lid and shake really well until the dressing is emulsified.
- Place the kale in a large mixing bowl and pour half of the dressing over the top. Gently massage the dressing into the kale until the kale has started to tenderize.
- Add 1 cup of quinoa to the kale and toss with a fork to incorporate completely. Then add the grapes, bell pepper, almonds and sunflower seeds; toss to combine. Set aside.
- Place the remaining ½ cup of quinoa in a shallow dish. Break off bite-sized portions of goat cheese and roll in the palm of your hands until in the shape of a ball. Roll the goat cheese into the quinoa. Repeat until all of the goat cheese has been rolled and coated with quinoa.
- Divide the salad between serving bowls, top each bowl with 3-5 pieces of goat cheese and serve immediately.
Don’t forget: you can make variations to any salad to personalize it and make it your own. Switch out vegetables or add flavoring. Do whatever you need to do to make it perfect.