The use of gravy rose out of tradition-based meals where a certain meat takes center stage (or, rather, center table). Whatever runnings that came off the “bird” was thickened with water and starch, adding a savory tang to whatever dish it touched. In the United Kingdom, gravy became the essential sauce to any Sunday roast, usually beef or any seasonal game bird. Stateside, gravy has been duking it out with cranberry sauce for decades for top Thanksgiving condiment, even for vegan eaters.
Especially for our go-to gluten-free and vegetarian recipes in the Massel Kitchen, gravies and sauces are important for drawing out the flavors that are the foundation of the dish. They aren’t just for the holidays! The key is to use your favorite flavor of Massel bouillon in combination with the usual basic ingredients, and customize it to your dish using different spices and juices.
Here are a couple of trusty and versatile variations of which we just can’t get enough!
VEGAN CREAMY CHICKEN SAUCE (serves 4)
Both gluten-free and vegan, this is great on white meats, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, zucchini (courgettes) and other light-tasting vegetables.
- 1 Massel 7’s bouillon cube, chicken flavor
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup milk OR unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning Granules, chicken flavor
- Fresh tarragon (to taste) OR 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Dissolve Massel 7’s bouillon cube in boiling water, add milk and stir.
- In a microwave-proof container, add the granules and a little of the stock and milk mixture. Whisk together to form a loose paste, then whisk in the rest of the stock mixture.
- Add tarragon and lemon juice.
- Place in the microwave on high for 1½ minutes. Whisk well as you take it out of the microwave oven. The gravy should coat the back of the spoon.
- Taste and add pepper to your liking.
HORSERADISH CREAM GRAVY (makes 1 cup)
This quick and effortless sauce is a tasty accompaniment to steak, roast beef or any meat or vegetables with which you choose to serve it.
- 2 tablespoons Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning Granules, beef flavor
- 1 tablespoon Horseradish cream
- 1 cup water
- Bring your cup of water to a quick boil in the microwave.
- Mix your granules with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Add boiling water while stirring, making sure to dissolve completely the paste while the gravy is thickening.
- Add 1 tablespoon of horseradish sauce, mixing well.
And that’s all there is to it! Whether you’re augmenting a cream or making a smooth gravy from scratch, starting with Massel nets you a big win. You get to skip the processed canned varieties in the store. Plus, they take no time at all!
To see what kinds of meals you can make even better with gravy this season, head on over to our Spring Recipes page. Happy eating!