Skip to content

Potato Spotlight

Posted on November 14, 2017 under potato, potatoes

Comfort food begins and ends with the potato. This versatile vegetable is both nutrient-rich and amazingly easy to get your hands on. With how delicious potatoes can be and all the different ways they can be prepared, their health benefits seem almost too good to be true. But this common veggie is even more valuable than you think.

Boiling potatoes is one of the many ways to prepare them.

Superfood in Disguise

The potato is almost 80% water but the other 20% really packs a punch when it comes to vitamins and minerals. The average potato has more potassium than a banana, more vitamin C than an orange, and more fiber than an apple—and comes in at only about 110 calories. In fact, it’s possible to get almost all of the nutrients you need from a diet of only milk and potatoes.

Accessibility You Can’t Beat

Potatoes are one of the few crops grown in all 50 states and come in more than 200 varieties. They are grown in over 125 countries worldwide and are the world’s fourth largest food crop with their popularity growing every day. The United States alone produces more than 20 million metric tons annually. You should never find yourself with a shortage of this functional veggie because, when stored in a cool, dry, dark place, potatoes will keep for up to 6 months.

Preparation Ideas

Now that you know some of the amazing qualities of the humble potato, try your hand at one of these fantastic recipes.

Grated potatoes go wonderfully in this cheese sauce.

Creamy Cheesy Potatoes

Grate potatoes and bake with cheese sauce in this fun and easy recipe. Simple alterations make this dish vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, or dairy-free.

Add a little bit of Massel vegetable broth for extra flavor in these potatoes.

Vegan Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes

These amazing mashed potatoes by Tess Masters take a total of about 20 minutes to make, are oh so good to eat, and are oh so good for you.

All the flavor and half the fat. Ladle up bowls of comfort and no guilt.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

All the flavor with half the fat. You’ll feel good going for seconds with this decadently cozy soup.

Make these potatoes in any size casserole dish you have whether it is an individual ramekin or a huge dish that will feed a dozen for a party.

Scalloped Potatoes

Make these scalloped potatoes for the whole family, or keep them all to yourself.

Check out our full stack of recipes here, make sure to save your favorites, and share your own Massel potato creations here!

Go back to all articles

Contact Us

We would love to hear from you!

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

© 2024 Massel - Gluten Free Bouillon and Seasonings