Simplest Bolognese Sauce for a Crowd
This is perfect if you have a big crowd to feed. You can also use this as the base for a Shepard’s Pie. Perfect for those long winter nights.
- ½ kg beef mince
- ½ kg pork mince
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 teaspoons Massel Beef Style Stock Powder
- 2 Massel Ultracube Chicken Style
- 1 big onion or 1 big leek (white and pale, softer green type only)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 big or 2 small carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium zucchini
- 3-4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 3 cups water
- In your food processor finely mince the onion or leek and the garlic and set aside.
- Now finely mince the carrot, celery and zucchini in the same way.
- In a large frypan heat the oil on medium-high heat and add the mince in batches starting with the pork. As one batch browns, move it to the side of the pan and add more mince until all the meats are sealed.
- Mix the meats well together while adding the Stock Powder
- Move the meats on one side of the pan and add the minced onion (or leek) with the garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes until you see them caramelised, then mix them in in with the meat.
- Again move all mixture to one side of the pan and add the remaining minced vegetables and sauté them for a couple of minutes before mixing them into the meat.
- Move the mixture aside and add the tomato paste to the pan. Sauté for a minute then mix it into the meat and vegetables.
- Add the chilli powder (if desired), mixing it in carefully.
- Add the water and Ultracubes, mixing well.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes to an hour checking to add water if needed.