Catering for a large number of individuals is complex and challenging. Menu design needs to be carefully undertaken to integrate the health care needs of patients and residents. Menu integration is the process of designing a menu so that as many special diets and diets for food allergens and intolerances are covered from the same menu.
To help this process, foodservices in the healthcare sector need to use products which have essential menu integration features that support recipe development.
In foodservice sectors covering aged care and community meal services, taste is essential to ensure that meals are eaten. As people approach the latter stages of their lives, foodservice’s primary role is to provide meals which are tasty and eaten. Therefore, it is important to use flavouring agents which may contain some sodium. Our elderly should not be on any dietary restrictions unless medically warranted and therefore relaxing menu planning to include foods which may have increased salt, sugar and fat is a perfectly acceptable practice.
It is important in the healthcare sector to consider the following when preparing meals:
- The taste of meals and how to achieve a consistently good taste profile
- The ease of preparation of recipes and using ingredients which provide a broad-spectrum menu integration option
- Ingredients which negate many allergen intolerances
- Ingredients which are versatile and have the inherent capacity to be vegetarian
What does broad spectrum menu integration mean for your operations?
This provides maximum menu coverage. Massel has a wide range of products that meet every need in terms of special diets, allergen restrictions and intolerances. Each of Massel’s stock powers, boosters and liquid concentrates include the following key features:
- Plant based – No animal content makes them perfect for vegetarian diets and vegans
- Low FODMAP certified by Monash University
- Gluten and Wheat free
- Dairy and Lactose free
- Cholesterol free
- Trans fat free
- Suitable for Kosher and Halal
- No added MSG
- Free from crustacea, eggs, fish, peanuts, sesame seeds, soybeans, tree nuts, sulphites and lupins
Their range is extensive and this makes Massel’s products useful to achieve menu integration. Flavour & taste are critical and Massel’s flavour-enhancing products deliver quality and superior flavour, ensuring that meals will be tasty.
Massel is found in leading hospitals & aged care facilities. They support the health & aged care sector and provide solutions and strategies for menu integration and development, which in turn supports those in care across the nation.
Serve and eat foods lower in sodium and eat well.
Dr Karen Abbey
Special Dietary Chef