Everyone will come to the table when you serve a warm crispy fritter on a cool night. They really lend themselves to almost any vegetable. Try the cauliflower as suggested here, or use sliced zucchini, carrots, broccoli, onion or red bell pepper – or any combination. These fritters are gluten-free and vegan, but your die-hard carnivore will devour them as well. Serve them with chutney, sweet chili sauce or sriracha mayonnaise.
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F. Cut cauliflower and/or other vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, cumin, coriander and enough Massel broth to make the batter smooth. Mix well.
3. Heat about 1 inch of your cooking oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. (It’s hot enough when a small piece of bread dropped in the oil turns golden brown in about 1 minute.)
4. Place the cauliflower and other vegetables in the batter to coat. Let any excess drip off, then place them in the hot oil. Do not crowd. Cook until golden brown on both sides, turning once (about 3 minutes per side).
5. Place on a baking sheet layered with paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt if desired. Keep warm in the preheated oven.
6. Serve hot with sauces to dip.